What separates good wrestlers from great wrestlers is not technique, it is nutrition.
The sooner a wrestler understands this the sooner they will be on the path to becoming elite.
Nutrition is about providing your body with the nutrients it needs to become great.
It is not about dieting or going without. It is the exact opposite, it is about researching what foods will provide your body with fuel it craves to get to the next level and providing your body with them.
The way a wrestler looks at nutrition is important.
Most wrestlers deprive their bodies of food and water and wonder why their performance is not optimal, why they are always in a bad mood and why they are constantly getting sick.
By looking at nutrition as a way of providing fuel to your brain and muscles, protecting and boosting your immune system and a way of providing recovery nutrients to your body one then has to seek out foods that will do such.
Here are 18 nutrient rich foods that every wrestler should implement into their nutrition plan.
Virtually all of these are USDA Organic – Non-GMO certified foods.
For full disclosure as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I only endorse products I believe in.
Each of these 18 products I have used or am using and each have made a significant improvement in my life.
Alkaline water has a higher pH level than regular drinking water. Because of this, some advocates of alkaline water believe it can neutralize the acid in your body.
Normal drinking water generally has a neutral pH of 7. Alkaline water typically has a pH of 8 or 9.
Essentia Water has a 9.5 PH level.
A recent study found a significant difference in whole blood viscosity after consuming high-pH water compared to regular water after a strenuous workout. Viscosity is the direct measurement of how efficiently blood flows through the vessels.
- Immune system support
- Hydration and detoxifying properties
- Weight loss
Apple Cider Vinegar
- May aid in weight loss
- May aid in treatment and prevention of Ringworm
- May strengthen immune system
- May aid in reducing cholesterol, lowering blood sugar
- May aid in reducing sore throat
If the straight Apple Cider Vinegar is too strong for your liking, here is a great way to get the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar in a Gummy form.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids are extremely important to brain health.
Adding a healthy assortment of fatty fish to your diet is beneficial to your health.
A daily tablespoon of fish oil is a great way to make sure you are getting the benefits of a fish diet.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids are considered brain food.
- Omega 3’s may fight depression and anxiety and may reduce symptoms of ADHD in children.
- Omega 3’s fight inflammation.
- Omega 3’s may improve sleep
What is a wrestlers most important body part?
It is their brain.
Every reaction on the mat is generated from your brain.
Having a brain that sends out signals to the body in an optimal time frame is of vital importance to a wrestler. Most wrestlers “Cut Weight” and deprive their body of vital nutrients and water and wonder why they aren’t performing at peak levels.
MCT Oil is Brain fuel.
Your brain weighs less than 2% of your body weight but uses 20% of your body’s fuel.
Your brain is run on fats and oils.
A healthy brain translates to peak athletic performance.
- Designed for athletes looking for a fast burst of energy.
- MCT Oil is considered Brain fuel
- Supports healthy weight loss
- Aids gut health.
- Supports cognitive health.
- May Increase exercise performance
- Lasting energy with 0 sugar
- 15g Collagen Protein
- Brain Octane MCT oil is used to power your brain and curbs snack attacks.
- Butter from grass-fed cows boasts higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
- 12g Collagen Protein
- 2g sugar
- Brain Octane MCT oil – quality fat for sustained energy.
Royal Bee Jelly/Honey
Royal Bee Jelly/Honey is a “super food” of the Queen Bee.
It is specially blended with enzymes and fed to each bee destined to become a queen. It is the exclusive food of the queen bee throughout her highly productive life, enabling her to lay up to 3,000 eggs per day during her six-year lifespan. Worker bees eating ordinary honey live only four to six weeks.
- Boosts immune system
- Improves Metabolism
- Reduces Inflammation
- Aids Weight Loss
It is thought that we each have two brains. One in our head and one in our gut, hidden in the walls of the digestive system. This “brain in your gut” is revolutionizing medicine’s understanding of the links between digestion, mood, health and even the way you think.
- Probiotics are the good bacteria in your gut that support your digestive health, immune health.
- There is a suspected health benefit between the health of your gut and the health of your brain.
- Only 1 ingredient – 100% Organic Grass Fed whey protein from the milk of jersey cows that graze freely on lush, green pastures year round.
- Acai berries contain amino acids which help promote muscle performance, energy production, endurance and strength.
- Loaded with antioxidants
- High in fatty acids
- Great to add to smoothies
- Promotes regularity
- Resembling a golden raisin but with a flavor that is distinctively sweet and tart, golden berries are one of the most nutrient-dense super fruits.
- Contains Polyphenols which improve blood flow to your brain and brain Function
- May improve mood and symptoms of depression
- May aid in weight control
- Powerful Antioxidant
- High in fiber which will aid in your digestion
- Dense source of protein
- Great to add to smoothies
- Supports Healthy Brain
- High Omega – 3 Fatty Acids
- Walnuts are rich in polyphenols, they help your immune system fight different diseases
- Walnuts contain melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep, so having some walnuts during dinner will lead to a restful sleep at night.
- Provides immune system support
- May improve depression, anxiety and sleep
- Convenient to add to smoothies
Immune System Support
- Boosts the immune system
- Effective for sore throats
- Improves mental health
- Supports brain health
- High in antioxidants
- Promotes healthy blood flow
- Eases ADHD symptoms
- Improves metabolism
- Effective in fighting viral infections